By David W. Daniels
Have you ever sat in a Bible study and played multiple choice? One person reads a verse and in the comments, someone says, "I like my Bible better. It says,............."
Someone else, with a different version, says, "No. No, listen to this one."
Soon, everyone is playing multiple choice, trying to decide which version they prefer. Below are a few key verses set up in a multiple choice format. One wonders why some enterprising publisher hasn't come up with a Multiple Choice Bible (MCB version).
Prophecies of the Messiah
Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold...
- a young woman is now with child (BBE - Bible in Basic English)
- the Virgin is conceiving (YLT - Young's Literal Translation)
- the young woman is with child (NRSV)
- a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son (KJV)
Micah 5:2 But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel;
- whose origins are from of old, from ancient times. (NIV)
- one whose origins are from the distant past. (NLT)
- whose origin is from of old, from ancient days. (NRSV)
- whose origin is from of old, from ancient days. (KJV)
What to Do to Be Baptized
- ...missing.... (NIV)
- ...missing....(DBY - Darby)
- ...missing....(NJB - New Jerusalem Bible, Catholic)
- And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. (KJV)
Acts 8:36b-37 ...and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
Reaction to Jesus
Mark 5:6 But when he saw Jesus afar off, he ran and
- fell on his knees in front of him. (NIV)
- prostrated himself before him, (NAB)
- bowed down before Him; (NAS)
- fell down before him. (NLT)
- worshipped him (KJV)
1 Corinthians 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us
- who are being saved it is the power of God. (NIV)
- who are being saved it is the power of God. (NKJV)
- who are on the way to salvation it is the power of God. (BBE)
- who are on the road to salvation it is the power of God. (NJB)
- who are being saved recognize this message as the very power of God. (NLT - New Living Translation)
- which are saved it is the power of God. (KJV)
2 Kings 23:7 And he [righteous King Josiah] brake down the houses of the
- (male) shrine prostitutes (NIV, NLT)
- (male) cult prostitutes (NASV, RSV, NAB - New American Bible, Catholic)
- perverted persons (NKJV)
- male temple prostitutes (NRSV)
- whoremongers (YLT)
- effeminate (DRA - Douay Rheims, Catholic)
- sodomites (KJV)
God promised in Psalm 12:6-7 that He would preserve His Words forever. But how are we to tell which of these multiple choice versions are really His preserved words when they differ so widely in their meaning? When we look at the facts it is easy to tell. Only the King James text is supported by thousands of manuscripts. Only the King James translation is backed by meticulous scholarship by translators of impeccable integrity.
Only the KJV qualifies to be God's preserved words in English.
For more information on Bible versions, see our Bible Information Center.