Do evolutionists "know" the earth is billions of years old or do they
"believe" that it is? Dr. Kent Hovind, author of the
"Creation Seminar Video Series" says that there are no scientific facts that prove that the earth is that old. Thus this "belief" in an extremely old earth is part of the religion of evolution, and has nothing to do with science.
So, when was "the beginning?" Hovind lists over a dozen scientific facts that all point to a young earth. Hovind's theory is that God created the earth about six thousand years ago.
Here are some of the facts listed by Hovind:
- Population: The rate of population growth has been steady for the time that we have records. The present six billion is the right number of people to have multiplied from the eight survivors of the universal flood about 4400 years ago. If man had been around for millions of years, the same growth rate would have produced 150,000 people per square inch of land surface.
- The planets are losing heat. If they had been formed millions of years ago, they would have no internal heat left given the present rate of heat loss. If a hot cup of coffee were left standing for 400 years, it would have no internal heat left.
- The planet Saturn is losing its rings. They are slowly moving away. If the planet were millions of years old, the material in the rings would have dissipated long ago.
- The moon: Space dust accumulates on the surface of the moon at the rate of about one inch for every ten thousand years. Astronauts found an average of one-half inch, just about what you would expect in six thousand years. Also, the moon is very slowly moving away from the earth. If it were millions of years old, it would have had to start very close to the earth, causing ocean tides so severe it would have drowned every thing on land twice a day.
- Comets: As comets travel through space they continually shed some of their material. Any comet more than 10,000 years old would have long since disintegrated into nothing.
- Earth's magnetic field is getting weaker. At the rate of deterioration, no such field would exist if the earth were as old as evolutionists believe.
- Earth's rotation is slowing at the rate of one thousandth of a second per day. At this rate a billion years ago it would have been spinning so fast that centrifugal force would have caused it to fly apart.
- Petroleum in the ground is under tremendous pressure. The rocks that contain it are porous. If the oil had been there for millions of years the pressure would have dissipated long ago.
- The oldest living plants, the bristlecone pine tree and the coral reefs only go back about 4500 years. If earth had existed for millions of years, why aren't there older plants still alive?
- Ocean salt: Now at 3.8 percent, the salinity of the oceans would have been much greater. The present rate of increase points back to a beginning about six thousand years ago.
- Evolutionists point to stalactites in caves as proof of an old earth, but there are stalactites in the basement of the Lincoln Memorial several feet long that have grown in less than 100 years.
The evidence continues to accumulate, exposing the evolutionist's erroneous assumptions. Yet, in blind faith, he clings to his absurd theories rather than accept the Biblical record of creation. He knows that a creation requires a Creator. And a Creator requires worship and surrender. We, as soul winners, must try to show him that Jesus is a loving Creator who only wants to do him good if he will believe and surrender.